Monday, July 26, 2010

God's Ever-Astounding Plan

God never fails to baffle me with his magnificent plan for my life. I can confidently admit that even the most difficult and trying times of the last few months have fallen into place with God's carefully articulated plan. As I go through all the struggles I have endured, I realize why each challenge was necessary and sit in amazement.

I think I can start with my very first few weeks in Chicago. My path to attain a Chicago Plus Card was one of the most grueling processes ever... I felt like I was being put to the ultimate test of patience. I won't bore you with all the details. Let's just say that after 2 weeks of having my card first stolen, failure to send a replacement, poor customer service, and delay upon delay -- I had finally become the owner of a Chicago Plus Card. Oh joy and joyness.

What I failed to even contemplate is that it was possible that something good was to come out of this experience. Thanks to the 2-week delay, I did in fact save money; as I am about to start a new job in 3 weeks, my monthly pass will end right on time. Praise God.

The second, seemingly never-ending, challenge I was faced with was finding somewhere to live after the end of my current sublease. This has a whole slew of problems and struggles attached. I first tried finding a full lease with a roommate -- that failed for several reasons and was the most trying of the struggles due to these issues that I won't go into. I then tried finding another sublease but was incredibly hesitant to sign any of the ones I found -- for reasons I later discovered...

This lesson was even more important than the first. I learned that God allowed me to go through these weeks of stress and some tears to discover what I needed to do. TRUST HIM. I thought I was trusting what God wanted me to do, but no, I had barely begun. Once I said I give up on forcing my plan into God's plan, everything fell together. If you have you ever heard the quote, "Want to make God laugh? Tell Him your plans," then you understand how I am feeling now. It is also incredibly true that hindsight is 20/20. When you look back on what has happened, you begin to understand why. It may never be crystal clear, but it usually makes more sense than it did at the time. Another aspect of this particular lesson was learning what to look for and what not to look for in an apartment in a big city. This lesson is so incredibly valuable... as I move to another big city and find a place to live in a mere 3 weeks!

Life has become a fast-paced roller-coaster; but, I'm ready with God's grace as my seatbelt securing me for the ride.

No comments: