Saturday, July 10, 2010

Rediscovering Beauty

I meant to write on this topic a long time ago and am hoping I remember all that I wanted to say... so, I may come back to it for further editing.

I've come to rediscover that everything has an innate beauty. This is a fact that I have been subconsciously aware of, but never truly thought about much. The more you look at something and concentrate on it-- the more you are able to realize the essence of beauty that it holds. Some beauty is more hidden and some is thrown in your face.

The root of all beauty is in God. The intention of true beauty is to call us closer to God Himself and permit growth in relationship with Him. There is a reason we strive to make ourselves and things around us visually appealing. We want to draw people in. Beauty is inviting and causes almost immediate interest. Why do you think there are industries dedicated to decor, fashion, architecture, art, music, design, etc... ?

What I'm getting at here is this. Striving to bring beauty into our lives and others' is incredibly important. Dullness should be avoided and driven away. We all know this at our core, and do indeed strive for it, but may not realize that we are doing it. However, something even more important than striving for beauty, is recognizing it. We need to appreciate it in our daily lives and realize that its foundation lies in God.

When I started thinking about this idea, I was sitting in the middle of downtown Chicago on the train. I began noticing the architecture, the design of the city, the people, the (seldom) nature... I became fascinated and in awe of the gifts God has given us to appreciate.

After noticing the beauty surrounding me, I started thinking about the fact that I, myself, was created in the image and likeness of God -- as are all my brothers and sisters in Christ. I have heard this fact countless times. But, when rediscovering something so incomprehensible... it's somewhat overwhelming. This made me consider how I and others try to capture that beauty in the manner of how we present ourselves. Am I living up to the expectations God has for me? Am I helping others to do the same? Do I embrace the beauty in others and truly recognize it? I could go on for hours with the thoughts that go along with this. I think I have to blame Mr. G.K. Chesterton for this one... he brought me back in touch with my love of philosophy. :)

2 comments:

Rachana Chhin said...

Go Sheri!! I'm so glad you're blogging now. Looks like I'll have to keep up with you. I'm so happy for your internship in Chicago! I wish I could be there but God apparently had other plans for me this summer. Hope all is well. Keep fighting the good fight!

btw I'm looking at law schools in the midwest too including St. Thomas Minnesota, Marquette, and others. :D

Sheri said...

Thanks Rachana!! We'll have to talk soon and catch up :)