Sunday, September 26, 2010

Priority

As defined by the Encarta World English Dictionary:


pri·or·i·ty [ prī áwrətee ]
1.     greatest importance: the state of having most importance or urgency
2.     somebody or something important: somebody or something that is ranked highly in terms of importance or urgency
3.     right of precedence: the right to be ranked above other


Now that we have an understanding of the word by definition... how would this word apply in someone's everyday life?


Americans live and breathe "priorities." But, have we ever really stopped to think about what measuring stick we're using to prioritize? I have recently undergone a lot of changes in my life, which have resulted in a great deal of re-thinking and re-organizing my priorities. I have to be honest, the way in which my priorities are listed are quite different than they might have appeared a year ago.


In today's Gospel, Jesus tells a parable of a rich man. This parable essentially discusses priorities. How we behave in this life does in fact have an impact on our next life. Where is God placed in the scheme of things?In the past several months that I have gone through so many transitions, it has sometimes been difficult for me to put God first. It's funny how the times you need Him most are the times you fail to seek Him. It has taken a decent amount of time, but I have finallly discovered some methods to avoid doing so. In order for me to put God first, I have to invite Him into my life more. He is a true Gentleman... He will not "intrude" without an invitation.


So, I began setting aside daily times to pray. It seems so simple, but in all actuality - it was difficult for me to do. Reason being, I had always "tried" to fit in times here and there and never really had a set time to pray. For my kind of personality, I need structure if I am going to remember to do something daily. Once I set this time aside and it became regular... it's amazing how much God has made a difference already. When I simply let Him into my life, things changed very quickly. I became happier. At times (when I first moved into my apartment) I felt lonely. Once I began daily prayer, the loneliness disappeared; this happened not only because God filled the void... but because He brought some wonderful people into my life.


As soon as I made God my first priority, everything else fell into place. My life is still busy and hectic, but it makes more sense and doesn't feel empty. Moving to a new place, starting a new job and leaving everything you know 600 miles behind you is a hefty task. I had no idea what I was initially getting myself into... but God did. He knew I would need Him. He knew what I could handle and carried me through the roughest times. I never want to feel as low as I did when I was first faced with all of these big life changes. I want to be armed with God behind me every step of the way. As I said, God is a Gentleman. So, He will always be there... you just have to invite Him to come closer and you will discover His abounding grace.

No comments: