Sunday, September 05, 2010

Sunday Reflections

I've been trying my best to be a little bit more reflective and analytical of what has happened in my life lately. I have had a massive swirl of changes that all occurred within a very short span of time. In all reality, I have been abundantly blessed. I need to learn more of how to appreciate that fact.

I'm realizing that every challenge that has been thrown in my direction has been an opportunity. When I recount my experience of first moving to where I am now... I am astounded at how God guided me through that journey. The first challenge was the incredibly long drive. I was fortunate to remember that two good friends live approximately halfway through the 10 hour drive. So, my sister and I stayed at their place and had a wonderful time catching up and spending some time with them. Many good things came from that decision. Then, once my sister and I got to my new apartment, I was given an opportunity to embrace patience with the staff of the complex... and perseverance in dealing with the humid 106 degree temperatures and the flight of stairs that stood between my 2 carloads of stuff and my new home. The challenges that immediately followed included time constraints, gate changes for my flight and a severe lack of sleep.

Even though it was a very time-pressed weekend moving in, I appreciate how God eased me into my new life. After that weekend, I spent a week of training in DC and met lots of great people. It gave me the mental and inspirational support I needed. Once the week was over, I was exhausted... but in a way that made me realize what was to come. It was only the beginning! I got back to my region and jumped in head-first. Started going off to schools, making meetings and appointments and working as hard as I could. My first week was not as productive as I had hoped. However, I was able to reflect, look at the mistakes I made along the way and work to improve.

The next challenges that came were a bit more unexpected. Dealing with a bit of loneliness and frustrations with those who disagreed with the work I do has been difficult. Fortunately I am slowly meeting people, found a great young adults' group and a small discussion group to attend. All the people are great and it's so good to be back sharing the faith with others. It is so important to have fellowship to help keep you on track and feel like you're not alone in this journey. I know the challenge of loneliness will fade with time, but I just need to get over the obstacle now and press on. Facing the opposition is a whole different story. It's necessary to learn strength and not let attacks touch you at such a personal level. That is one aspect I don't believe I prepared myself for very well. It will take some learning and strategy, but I know it can be overcome.

All in all, things are good... I just need to take these challenges and use them as opportunities like I previously stated. The only direction I can move is forward, the past is behind me and I only see better things lying ahead. For, "if the what you did yesterday still looks big to you, you haven't done much today."

No comments: